Sterile Processing Technician Salary: How much do we earn?
How much does a CSSD or Sterile Processing Technician make?
This is one of the most popular questions that we often receive from people who are aspiring to be Sterile Processing Technicians and from those who are already practicing the job.
Those who are aspiring to become Sterile Processing Technicians want to know how much to expect from their salary when they finally get the job probably because they want to gauge if taking a course and getting a certification are all worth it when they get employed.
It may not always be about money and passion, but practically speaking, one of the reasons why people work is to earn money, to make a living, and to save and invest for their future. So, it’s definitely worth knowing how much you’re going to get from the kind of job that you want to practice.
And for those who are currently practicing the job as Sterile Processing Technicians, they probably want to know the average salary that others with the same profession get so that they can make wise decisions on whether to stay with their current employer or find better opportunities outside the company.
Sterile Processing Technician Salary in the United States
In a survey that was conducted by a company called, Payscale, Sterile Processing Technicians in the United States earn an average of $14.81 per hour.
The average monthly salary of Sterile Processing Technicians depend on their tenure or years of experience and the company where they are affiliated with.
Salary based on Tenure
- $29,000 – This is the average compensation that an entry-level Sterile Processing Technician with less than 5 years of experience can expect to make. This is already including tips, bonus, and overtime pay.
- $34,000 – This is the average compensation that Sterile Processing Technician with 5-10 years of experience can expect to earn.
- $35,000 – This is the average compensation that Sterile Processing Technician with 10-20 years of experience can expect to earn.
- $37,000 – This is the average compensation that Sterile Processing Technician with more than 20 years of experience can expect to earn.
Salary based on Company
- $57,000 – This is the average salary of Sterile Processing Technicians who work at University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Medical Center.
- $53,000 – This is the average salary of a Sterile Processing Technician who work at Kaiser Permanente.
- $36,000 – This is the average salary of a Sterile Processing Technician who work at Allina Hospitals and Clinics.
- $36,000 – This is the average salary of a Sterile Processing Technician who work at Scott & White Hospital and Clinic.
- $26,000 – This is the average salary of a Sterile Processing Technician who work at Baptist Hospital.
- $26,000 – This is the average salary of a Sterile Processing Technician who work at Mercy Hospital.
- $25,000 – This is the average salary of a Sterile Processing Technician who work at CHS, Inc.
Sterile Processing Technician Salary in the Middle East
Just like in the United States, Sterile Processing Technician salary in other countries like the Middle East are highly based on their years of experience and the company where they work.
Sterile Processing Technicians who have been practicing the job for several years earn higher salaries than those who just started.
Sterile Processing Technicians with certifications like CBSPD and IAHCSMM may also earn higher salaries than those who are not certified.
Sterile Processing Technicians who are promoted or who perform additional tasks like managing or leading a team may also be given additional incentives or higher salary.
My Salary in KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) as CSSD Technician
During my first 2 years as a CSSD Technician in a hospital in Saudi, my average annual salary was only around $6,000. My take home pay was $500 a month with free accommodation and transpo.
It is relatively smaller compared to the entry-level technicians in the United States, but I was already happy with my salary at that time. When converted to Philippine peso, earning ₱20,000 a month was not bad. It can already support my family and I also managed to save some money in the bank.
On my third and fourth year with the same company in Saudi, my monthly salary went a little bit higher from $500 to around $700.
And on my fifth and sixth year, I was already earning $900 a month.
I worked in that company for 6 years, and after I finished my last contract, I decided to resign to find better opportunities in another country.
I am now working in Qatar, enjoying my job as a Sterile Processing Technician, in a team with more than 50 energetic, supportive, and fun CSSD Technicians from all over the world, and with a little bit higher pay than what I used to receive before.
Just like any other jobs, when you start working as a Sterile Processing Technician, don’t expect to earn high salary immediately. Most employees start from the bottom. So do you. But don’t give up easily. Work hard, get certified, gain enough experience, and work your way up high until you find the best opportunity that pays maximum salary for a Sterile Processing Technician like you.